Thursday, January 5, 2012

"You should see the toast. I couldn't even get it through the door"

Uncle Buck doesn’t fit the mold of what I typically expect a John Hughes movie to be. The perspective is mostly from an adult rather than a teenager as done in Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller, or Weird Science. Additionally, the teenager in the movie isn’t particularly likable or easy to relate to.

Mostly I don’t want to admit that I relate to the character,Tia, because she is downright haggish. But I’ve admittedly had my Tia moments, and was probably more like her, at the age of 15 than I would like to admit. Like her I moved when I was 15 and spent a lot of time being angry and placing blame. Big difference is, I would never lay down a line like,
"If my whole family moved away from me, I'd have a heart attack too".
Instead I was insensitive about my grandma being ill, because like Tia, I was unsure how to deal with it in the new environment.

But I’d like to believe the true reason that I relate to Uncle Buck is that I am known to make a mean giant pancake. Enormous pad of butter and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment