Monday, January 2, 2012

"This is an incredibly romantic moment, and you're ruining it for me!"


Everything I know about the 80’s came from a John Hughes movie. For me, nothing else comes close to capturing twentieth century adolescence like The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Sixteen Candles. The dialogue, the costume design, and the soundtracks capture the excitement, the awkwardness, and the struggle of youth- emotions that are timelessly relatable.

Though I love John Hughes I have yet to see all of his movies. So I decided to make an effort to sit down with every single film that he as written. I started the year with Pretty in Pink.

Pretty in Pink is a classic. Themes of relationships, social class, love, and letting go, separate it from your typical romantic comedy.

But I admittedly will always have a problem with this movie. No matter how many times I watch it, Andie will choose Blaine over Duckie. The popular guy over the lovable underdog. And every time I watch it, I loose a little bit more respect for Andie.

“If I hate him because he’s got money,that’s the same thing as them hating us because we don’t. Understand?”

...Yeah, sure. I understand. But you’d have to be a crazy not to choose the guy who gets down to Otis Redding.

Next on the movie list is Uncle Buck, because who doesn't love a man that uses a snow shovel as a pancake spatula.



2 comments:

  1. I love this movie too. Although, everytime I watch it I am happy for andie. Even though she never chooses Dickie they still remain friends. Plus, who is to say that if Andie and Duckie get together it would definitely change their relationship if it did not work out. Just a thought. Great article and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie,Dickie,Duckie,coulda woulda shoulda--the cry of all of us. It's in all of us. No matter the age. John Hughes says what we all feel.

    ReplyDelete