Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Twits

There are a couple of reasons why I chose to read Roald Dahl's complete bibliography of children's books. First of all, he is the reason why I can say things like "gobstopper" and "umpa-loopma" and most people would understand what I am talking about. Roald Dahl has created so many influential children's fantasy's from Matilda, to James and the Giant Peach, to The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Many of his books have been adapted into movies, while Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has even inspired its own product of candy.  Dahl is such a big influence in children's literature, that I felt that it was important that I read his work, as both a fan and as an educator.

I just finished my first Roald Dahl book, The Twits. A humorous account of a hideous couple, The Twits is not only a reminder of what can happen when you have ugly thoughts, but a reminder of why Roald Dahl is a master of his craft. I hope this gives me inspiration when I start to write my own children's book. It has definitively motivated me to pick up more children's books in addition to Dahl's bibliography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment